• 3/4 cup Epicurean Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
• 5 large eggs, separated, reserving 1 white for another use
• 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
• Special equipment: a 9-inch (24-cm) spring form pan; parchment paper
1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease spring form pan with some oil, then line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Oil parchment.
2. Beat together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl at high speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add olive oil (3/4 cup) and continue beating until just combined (mixture may appear separated). Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined.
3. Beat egg whites (from 4 eggs) with 1/2 teaspoon salt in another large bowl at medium-high speed until foamy, then add 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating, and continue to beat until egg whites just hold soft peaks, about 3 minutes. Gently fold one third of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, and then fold in remaining whites
4. Transfer batter to spring form pan and gently rap against work surface once or twice to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a thin knife around edge of pan and remove side of pan. Cool cake to room temperature, about 1 1/4 hours. Remove bottom of pan and peel off parchment, then transfer cake to a serving plate.